Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I Need that Watch!!

I remember a TV movie from 1980 called The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Everything. It starred Robert Hays (Ted Styker from Airplane) and Pam Dawber (Mindy from Mork and Mindy).  To be clear, it was a hokey movie at best and really wasn't very memorable except for the premise, which involved the main character inheriting a watch that allowed him to stop time for everyone but himself!

WHAT I NEED IS THAT WATCH!

Have you ever felt like you had so many things going on at once that you would never get them all done?  I have been a Principal for over a decade so I am very familiar with juggling numerous things and managing many deadlines, but I have to say that I have never really found the right formula for getting it all done efficiently.  It all gets finished and usually finished pretty well, but not without angst and stress.

WHAT I NEED IS THAT WATCH!

I know I'll never get it, but I have to dream.  Don't get me wrong I have employed many different types of
systems.  Before the higher tech ones I used notebooks, binders, color coding, white boards, etc.  Now that we have mobile devices I use things like Evernote, Wunderlist, email, Google Apps, etc.  But, I want something more magical!

WHAT I NEED IS THAT WATCH!

Since I understand that I will likely not get one of those watches, I ask you: What do you do to keep organized and stay on track?  Do you have a system?  Do you have a program?  Do you have a plan?  Do you have any good advice?  This post is mainly for venting about the many things that are going on right now including a 50th Anniversary Celebration for my school, NJ State Testing, and all of the normal things that go along with school administration in the Spring (Annual Evals, budget, staffing, etc. etc. etc.)  All of this stuff is part of the gig and I love it, but this is my space for writing about this stuff.  Teachers and administrators all feel the heat during the last month and a half of the school year, and I am sure that I am preaching to the choir.

So, as I mentioned:

WHAT I NEED IS THAT WATCH!

But, unless you have one of those, can you share with me what you use to keep it all straight.  If you have never commented on my blog before, this is the time I ask you to consider commenting.



I leave you with one of my favorite exchanges from one of my favorite films; Shakespeare in Love.

Philip Henslowe: Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. 
Hugh Fennyman: So what do we do? 
Philip Henslowe: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well. 
Hugh Fennyman: How? 
Philip Henslowe: I don't know. It's a mystery. 

It will all get done. Thanks!



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment